Near the beginning of my junior year, my friend Jake texted me if I was interested in making money online with him.
"Of course!" I said. "But I'm not interested in signing up for any scams..."
Jake went on to tell me about drop-shipping and how he, with two of our mutual friends, made a total of forty-thousand dollars over the course of one month. They told me how they had been playing with the thought of making a drop-shipping website before, but after a certain celebrity died, they decided to make a store with merchandise selling products about him. After spending a bit of money on advertisements, money started flooding in! Drop-shipping seemed like a gold mine!
But what is drop shipping? Drop shipping is an e-commerce advent that allows a middle man to reap profits through obtaining customers for a product. Basically, a large wholesale website that mass produces a massive variety of items, sells them for very cheap. Drop-shipping, is the act of making a website that advertises some of the products from a wholesale site. Ads are bought for the drop-shipping site, and go in and buy the products from the drop-ship site. The catch is, all the products on the site are slightly (or largely,) listed as more expensive than the cost of the products on the wholesale site.
When a customer gets drawn in by the drop-ship websites advertisements, they enter all their information and purchase an item. Once their info and payment is in, all their information is sent to the wholesale site, along with however much money the item costs. The leftover money that was spent on the item on the drop-shipping site all go to whoever made the website.
Since that interaction with Jake, I have tested the waters with drop shipping, but haven't opened my own website for my self. However, I have grown an interest in e-commerce, and plan on working on my own way of making money online...
I enrolled into ENT 3003 at UF in order to learn more basic concepts about entrepreneurship. I am planning on making my own business, and being my own boss, so I thought it would be good to learn the basics.
Interesting story! I have never heard of drop-shipping before and after reading your story, it kind of scares me! Does that mean I am paying more money than I should be paying for fake goods online just because the ad and the website look pretty legit? Oh no! At least now I know more about e-commerce from reading your story. I really hope you do well with a business of your own, but I hope you stay away from drop-shipping!
ReplyDelete