Friday, February 28, 2020

13A Reading Reflection No. 1


Over the course of this week, I read the book Steve Jobs, by Walter Isaacson. This was for my first reading reflection of my Into to Entrepreneurship class

1.

  • What surprised me the most?
    • The fact that Steve Jobs was put up for adoption was what really took me for a spin. This extremely successful man came from humble beginnings, that I couldn't have imagined.
  • What about the entrepreneur did you most admire?
    • I admired that even though he was fired from Apple in 1985, he continued his entrepreneur endeavors and invested a lot of his leftover money to other projects, such as Pixar.
  • What about the entrepreneur did you least admire?
    • I was not an extreme fan of the fact that he manipulated the media in order to get more public coverage for his company.
  • Did the entrepreneur encounter adversity and failure? If so, what did they do about it?
    • Steve Jobs was actually forced out of Apple during a timely struggle for power over the company, with the CEO of Apple at that time, John Scully. He merely saw this as a small bump in the road of life and was able to make millions of dollars through other companies. Eventually he regained control of his old company and remained as the CEO for over ten years.

2. What competencies did you notice that the entrepreneur exhibited?
-This entrepreneur knows how to roll with the punches, and deal with setbacks. Things no going exactly to plan was always expected by Jobs, and he was able to improvise and overcome most of all his hinderances.

3. Identify at least one part of the reading that was confusing to you.
-It was confusing to me how Jobs accused Microsoft of copying their OS, when Apple did a similar thing by "borrowing" from Xerox.

4. If you were able to ask two questions to the entrepreneur, what would you ask? Why?
-I would ask him what his typical work day is, or if he says that he treats everyday like a work day, I would ask him to run me through a typical day of his. I would ask because I would like to get a better idea of the day to day process of this mans life. I would also ask what he thinks I should do as an entrepreneur, because it would be a great asset to get advice from a legendary modernizing entrepreneur.

5. For fun: what do you think the entrepreneur's opinion was of hard work? Do you share that opinion?
-I would say that working hard was a very large and important part of Steve Jobs everyday life. He always challenged himself in situations where a mass amount of work had to be done in a very short time. After receiving many examples of how hard he pushed himself, I would say that we would share the opinion of hard work being important.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Theo,
    I liked your post about Steve Jobs. It was really interesting to see that Steve Jobs grew up from humble beginnings and transformed himself into the entrepreneur and businessman that we know today. I think that Steve Jobs regarded hard work as very important and a very essential part of his life and a key to his success. Great report on Steve Jobs.

    ReplyDelete